Friday, February 17, 2006




Afternoon Break on Valentine's Day

Some friends came over to have a tea-break with me on Valentine's day. I made some Taiwanese sweets to share: glutinous rice balls which we usually have on Lantern festival. Sweet is of course the best choice of food for a sweet occasion like Valentine's day.

Glutinous rice powder was the main ingredient. In addition to the traditional white, green tea powder and red yeast were used to add colors. I was kind of doing an experiment as it was my first try although my childhood memory about helping my grandmother out is still vivid to me. I talked to my mother on the phone before starting the experiment. She opposed my idea about using green tea powder and thought it was too unconventional to work out. However, it proved that cooking, just like life, needs adventures. It turned out that 3 colors were made: white (original), bubblegum pink (red yeast), and green (tea powder). They were very simple in taste and chewy. But I am afraid that some of them were too "sticky" that they almost choked my guest, Oscar. Really sorry for that.

The rice balls that my grandmother made were simple in taste too when those with fillings were not yet popular, or at least in my family. At that time, the natural and pure taste taught me how to enjoy and appreciate the sweet soup made of sugar. A very simple satisfaction of life that has to be remembered but constantly forgotten.

ps. I also made some balls with peanut-butter filling, but I am afraid they were a failure...

4 comments:

  1. The natural and pure taste is always the best!!!
    I was amazed by the rice balls you made. They were so good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, thanks for appreciating that.

    btw, as you might have known. I lost the tournaments...

    ReplyDelete
  3. sad I missed your cooking... again...

    ReplyDelete
  4. surely we will have other occasions!

    ReplyDelete