Sunday, January 22, 2006




Wanyu's Birthday and a Cake of my First-try

There are a few aquarii around me, including myself.
Is it what "Birds of a feather flock together" means?

Wanyu's birthday party gave me a perfect opportunity to make a cake. I have been doing some baking since last year but have never tried any cake. It took me some time to collect ingredients and figure out the best way to make it. It's a lot of fun indeed and I learned a lot of new vocabulary in the process. (Maybe I can offer a class, "English in Bakery", in my future career.)

It is a Cocoa Chiffon cake with cream and chocolate icing.
I was very grateful that the flour mix grew nicely because I couldn't afford any failure yesterday. The party started at 9pm, and it was already 6 when the chiffon base was done, and god knew that I still needed to dress up (sorry, it might sound as if it's the most important thing...)

The starry-flower decorations were not as difficult as imagined.
However, I practiced the central portrait several times on another plate. For instance, I did not quite know how to draw "eyes". I tried several shapes and styles but still was not satisfied. Smiling eyes became my choice. Who said that "smile is a universal language"? That person is so right! At least it's a good excuse for an amateur like me.

I was happy about my first try (both the process and the result) and pleased to know that the birthday girl enjoyed it too.
And most important of all, there was not any food-poisoning reported so far.

4 comments:

  1. thank you for everything...
    i had a wonderful time indeed...
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, is there a slice of cake left for me? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember Wanyu still kept a quarter of it...

    ReplyDelete
  4. sorry, but me and zoe ate it as breakfast...

    absolutely yummy!!!

    ReplyDelete