Monday, January 30, 2006



Chinese New Year's Reunion Dinner

We had our new year's meal at WY's on the 28th of January. Last year, D, WY, and I cooked for our friends, but this year, we prepared the meal with our guests' help. It was a quite different enjoyment as if we were a family helping each other and having fun in the kitchen on the new year's eve. I used to help my grandmother and mother when I was little.
A brought a very important food, chicken, which means "family". L brought red wine, and everybody understands that red is an indispensable colour for the Chinese new year! Girls' group (T + WY + I) made Taiwanese dumpling (boiled dumpling), while boys group (K + Y) made Japanese dumpling (fried). We were not competing but the situation did remind me of a Japanese TV program. It always presents two versions of the same food every week and asks its guests to choose from one of them. The hosts always ask "Which dish do you want for tonight?". (can anybody help me with the Japanese line?)

A and T were very lucky to get the only 2 coins put into 2 of the dumplings. Wish you have a good fortune in 2006.

We also rolled spring rolls. Sausages from Taiwan were absolutely delicious! Steamed cod was meant to suggest that "everybody will have more than enough in the new year". I really wanted to try WY's fried sweet year cakes. The year cakes were dancing on the frying pan when the fire was on! But she's too shy to put them on the table.

It was a nice dinner, just like a family meal.

6 comments:

  1. this blog entry is as lovely as the dinner on new years eve!

    thank you sweetie!!

    ps. i'm gonna steal your picture at some point... :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sausages from Taiwan?! One of my favorites..T.T
    The dishes look so tempting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1u, that sounds like a compliment! : )
    I am afraid that people start suspecting that I have spent too much time making photos.

    Yushan, the sausages were really nice, they were from 1u's mother! (ps. we only finished half pack that night... you know whom you should ask now, right?)
    Our dishes were almost the same as yours, I think. We all felt sorry that you couldn't join us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How do you make your photos look so good??

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I use photoshop, Jenny.

    ReplyDelete