Friday, January 06, 2006



Strawberry Puff

A. sent me a parcel of Taiwanese snacks from DC. I was so pleased when it arrived. Thanks, A.
They are all truly made in Taiwan!
I haven't had it for years. I am too careless to be a gourmet and too forgetful to remember good taste. But the desire to have a bite of puff never disappears.
When I was in primary school, this brand of puff was very popular but very luxurious for me. I could have one small pink (strawberry) or yellow (cream) pack only when I went on excursions. Maybe that's why I was so into making puffs last summer: I wanted my eaters to have that kind of pleasure as I used to have. My mother did not want kids to have sweet tooth. She did a good job, I guess. However, in a cold weather like today, who can or want to resist sweet?

The bite of puff was nostalgic. It brought back old school days.
The bite was refreshing, as it energized me with friendship.
The bite was not as rich as I remembered, perhaps because my memory enriched the taste.
But the bite of puff today brought in a new happiness.

Sweet is such an essential to happiness. When you say sweet, you smile.
What is the relationship between "sweet" and "sweetheart"?
A sweetheart is attractive to you as sweet, but sometimes you simply want to resist your sweetheart as you want to deny sweet. Is that why sweetheart is sweetheart?

4 comments:

  1. isn't it great to be able to reconnect to childhood by this little thing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes, it's excellent to have childhood snacks. They have different sizes too. Bakeries usually sell bigger and more creamy choices. Aiya, puff, puff!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aiya, Aki, you are so sweet. I hope I can bake some cookies or cake for you to show my gratitude. I like a kind of shortbread from Scottland a lot. Will send some to you soon.

    ReplyDelete