Thursday, March 17, 2011


I prepared two emergency backpacks today.

The idea had been hatched in my mind for some time, but this quake and a flyer about preparation for emergent occasions yesterday finally made me carry out the plan.

There were probably more than 30 items on the list , but I only packed those that seem to be most needed and those that were available to me in the house. My bags contain the following items: canned food and nutrition tablets for energy, raincoats for bad weathers, plastic sheet to sleep and sit on, lighter to make fire, gloves and ropes for rough environment, medical kit for cases of injury and illness, towels, tissue paper and alcohol handwash for hygiene, and flash light for nights. Bottled water and clothing were also packed in.

The flyer advises that a bag of 15 kg is ideal for a male adult to carry, and 10 kg for a female.

I have tried my backpacks, and they are not light. A rearrangement is inevitable.

Packing is never an easy task for me, I have to admit, either for moving or short trip. I am too attached to the things that I own. My dependence on my belongings has made me their possession instead.

I have always been anxious before check-in counters in airports every time when I travel. It has been a question for a long time: how weighty is a life? or, how light should it be? We might only need 10 to 15 kg to live on, but how much is required to have a life?

2 comments:

  1. Dear Kunio & Wanchen,
    Dad and Mom both worry about your situation. They asked me to tell you two and Kunio's family members are more than welcome to come to Taiwan. There are plenty of rooms to stay in Taichung. It would be nice if you consider to come back from the disasters and wait until things get better. Are you 2 in vacation now? It looks like quite empty in Tokyo from the News here.

    Jia-hung

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Wanchen,

    I am so sorry for what happened in Japan. I am wondering if you want to come to the US? You are more than welcome to come stay with us. Or as your relatives suggested, you might want to go back to Taiwan for some time?

    Best wishes.
    sophie

    ReplyDelete