Wednesday, March 17, 2010


Mercer Art Gallery in Harrogate

I was reminded of a small city, Harrogate, the other day. The lady and I talked about Durham, York and a city nearby which is know for its hot spring and the Betty's tea house. We couldn't recall the name even after the afternoon tea came to an end. I asked K what the place is called at the breakfast table, and, to my surprise, he came up with the word, Harrogate, without any effort. The lady friend also texted me to say that the place name popped up in her mind around midnight.

Recently, I became very cautious of the situation that some terms and names that were used and encountered daily during my stay in the UK are no longer familiar. Last week, coincidentally, it took me almost two days to remember the name of the debit card that overseas students use in that country: Solo card.

My memory about Harrogate started to take shape after the place name was recalled.

In 2007, C and I made a day trip to the Mercer Art Gallery in Harrogate to see the exhibition of William Powell Frith, a Victorian artist painting his contemporary world. It was my first and last visit to the town, but a good time was spent there with a beautiful and nice friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment