Wednesday, March 14, 2007


Poetry about Home and Thoughts for Home

A close friend of mine is getting married.
She and her artist fiance are in search of a poem, a poem about home. They are planning to translate poetic language into decorative art to furnish their new house.

She honored me with this task to search for a poem on their behalf.
I love poetry, but it is not an easy work. I found my knowledge about home and about poetry of home lacking. The first suggestion that I gave her is William Carlos Williams's "The Red Wheelbarrow",


so much depends
upon

a red wheel
barrow

glazed with rain
water

beside the white
chickens.


It is a poem more than simple. It is not directly related to the idea of home, but I am so enchanted by the verb "depend" that I am intrigued to impose my interpretations of home upon the 8 lines. My imagination is invited to understand the 'dependence' here as everyone's attachment to and reliance on home. Home is the red wheel barrow, the ultimate centre for all.

But it didn't deliver the same message to my patrons. I knew that I had stretched the poem a bit too far.

Then I was thinking about John Donne's "A Valediction: Forbidding Mourning", its later half:

Our two souls therefore, which are one,
Though I must go, endure not yet
A breach, but an expansion,
Like gold to aery thinness beat.

If they be two, they are two so
As stiff twin compasses are two;
Thy soul, the fix'd foot, makes no show
To move, but doth, if th'other do.

And though it in the centre sit,
Yet, when the other far doth roam,
It leans, and hearkens after it,
And grows erect, as that comes home.

Such wilt thou be to me, who must,
Like th'other foot, obliquely run ;
Thy firmness makes my circle just,
And makes me end where I begun.


The metaphor for relationship between 2 lovers--compass--has long been my favorite language of poetry. A steady centre and a wandering foot generate another image of a pair of graceful Waltz dancers. The fixed foot enacts the role of home. However far the other foot roam, it is bound to go home.
But what makes a wonderer go home? It is the beloved. The beloved is the steady centre of home.

Yet, I feel that home is not just between 2 people; therefore this proposal is postponed.

I went to a concert the other day. With the University Symphony Orchestra Bibi Heal, a soprano, sang Richard Strauss's 'Vier lextzte Lieder'. The lyrics are a set of four poems by Hermann Hesse and Joseph von Eichendorff: Hesse's Fruhling ('Spring'), Beim Schlafengehen ('On Going to Sleep') and September, and von Eichendorff's Im Abendrot ('At Dusk'). The poems discuss love and emotional attachment between an aged couple. The lyrics flesh out Strauss's melody through which the composer expresses a deep affection for his wife in their old age. 'At Dusk' writes,

Here both in needs and gladness
We wandered hand in hand;
Now let us pause at last
Above the silent land.

Dusk comes the vales exploring,
The darkling air grows still,
Alone two skylarks soaring
In song their dreams fulfil.

Draw close and leave them singing,
Soon will be time to sleep,
How lost our way's beginning!
This solitude, how deep.

O rest so long desired!
We sense the night's soft breath
Now we tired, how tired!
Can this perhaps be death?

(tr. Michael Hamburger; taken from the programme of the concert)

The language was as enchanting as the melody. My imagination glided on the smooth flow of music and was led to thinking about an ultimate home, grave, for the aged couple. Death is not scary at all if one is accompanied by love to the last moment of life.

Home is a feeling rather than a physical place. This is all that I can think of now. Irritatingly, my imagination about home is rigid and is rather confined to romantic love. It still awaits a moment when it can cross the limit of experience.



The image is New Home.

6 comments:

  1. Indeed, it is far more difficult than you think to propose an adequate epithalamium for those who just had made a proposal. But the word epithalamium itself is interesting and attractive, unless one's self is getting involved. Anyway, here is my humble suggestion, which is an Indonesian poem but I assure that it is modern and not exotic at all. It is definitely a simple poem and on this occasion, I think, simple is beautiful.


    [Our Garden]
    --Chairil Anwar, translated by Burton Raffel

    Our garden
    Doesn't spread out very far, it's a little affair
    In which we don't lose each other.
    For you and me it's enough.
    The flowers in our garden don't riot in color
    The grass isn't like a carpet
    Soft and smooth to walk on.
    For us it doesn’t matter
    Because
    In our garden
    You're the flower, I'm the bee
    I'm the bee, you're the flower.
    It's small, it's full of sunlight, this garden of ours,
    A place where we draw away from the world, and from people.

    .Burton Raffel, ed. & trans., The Complete Poetry and Prose of Chairil Anwar, Albany : State University of New York Press, 1970, pp. 24-25.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kama, thank you. It's a very nice piece of work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi wanchen
    I found your place via akilina's links. You've got a nice blog and I am so glad that I can stay in touch with you this way. This September would markt the 20th anniversary of our friendship (ok, some friend i turned out to be, losing contact)!
    I like the poem about the red wheelbarrow. It portraits a warm fuzzy picture of "home." Especially with the white chickens and all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Chiafung! Great to hear from you again! And thanks for your comment!
    Electronic network is really amazing, I have to say. I am so pleased that it brought us together again! Before starting this blog, using cyberspace was really not my cup of tea, but it turned out to be a very positive and enjoyable experience.

    One more thing, do you know that Jenru is having a baby now? She is a very happy mother, I believe. : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. yikes
    she is? She'd be a great mom.
    I immediately thought it strange that I had said "yikes," because, after all, we are 'that' age already. But still, yikes!
    I saw your reunion photos in your Flickr and had myself one of those "my, how time has passed" moments.
    PS. I ran into Fu-hang last November when I went to get my new ID card. I didn't recognize him until the service lady called our names.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chiafung, I know, I also understand that feeling, 'yikes'. But a lot of our friends are mothers now, I believe. Shufung has been a mother for ages...
    Jenru is writing a blog too, http://blog.yam.com/user/jenru0301.html.
    She is definitely a good and happy wife and mother now. : )

    ReplyDelete