Friday, October 06, 2006



The Lake District, 17-19 September 2006: My collection of pigs

Part of my research work happened to be about sows, and it opened up my intuition for this interesting creature.

Does Cumbria have any particular connection with the industry of pigs?

I kept seeing images of this meaty animal during my entire journey. Pigs are indispensable in the economic life in the Lake District, I suppose. Piglets are exchanged for valuable goods. Pigs' hair is a good material for brushes. I even saw gargoyles of pigs, whose representations are rare I think. In Beatrice Potter's imaginary world, they are gentlemen from the countryside.

I am now quite intrigued by this search for pigs in the UK, any popular pig icons in the country? (I don't like the pigs in George Orwell's Animal Farm though).

8 comments:

  1. Oh and Cumbrian Sausage! Mwoohahahaha!! Please don't tell Wanyu about this...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's Piglet from Winnie the Pooh and I am sure of others, but I can't recall them right now.

    Cumbrian Sausage is excellent, I now feel hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Wanchen,

    I have add a link to your piglet entry to my blog: www.rachellin.com

    (After seeing two pig heads at the Borough Market, that is.)

    Hope you are well!

    Rachel xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. He is Piglet. But is Winnie the Pooh a British story?

    Rachel, thanks for the link! and the two pig heads. That was really a big surprise.
    ;-p

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh no! I missed that!
    It reminds me of Taiwanese sausage though... Mid-Autumn Festival, BBQ, and sausages.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes Winnie-the-Pooh is very British. The stories were written by A. A. Milne and are based on the Ashdown Forest in East Sussex, England. Sadly Winnie-the-Pooh was Americanised by Disney who bought the rights to make it into a film, and have made endless cartoons and merchandise from the franchise ever since.

    ReplyDelete