Tuesday, July 25, 2006


The Bombing in Lebanon











C, a friend of mine and of most postgraduates in York, is trapped in Lebanon now. I was so shocked when Sue told me the horrible news. Although a friend confirmed that she is safe now but I cannot stop feeling worried for her.

I know there is a long history of conflict between Muslim and Jewish communities in the Middle East and indeed in the whole world. The hatred and opposition is too complex to disentangle, I think. But my problem is I really don't understand why people always easily forsake peace and conveniently justify their resort to violence. The war has been making both communities suffer, but still military advancement is always given the priority.

I cannot make any judgment between the two countries as the political situation in that region of the world is really not my specialty. At this moment, I am only selfishly worried about the safety of C and her family. To be honest it's a bit abstract for me to imagine the peoples suffering in the war, while it's more realistic for me to only think about C. Her graceful dancing figure in her birthday party last year kept coming back to my mind throughout the day. I wish they are safe and calm.
My wish is selfish, but isn't "selfishness" a sufficient reminder? If everybody can "selfishly" think about their friends and family and "selfishly" want their friends and family to be happy and safe, he will learn to avoid getting involved in the vicious circle of violence. The economy of hatred will eventually crash everyone within it, it is the only way how violence works. No one can take advantage of violence.

6 comments:

  1. 我有聽Nada說起這件事,因為另一位明年是welfare officer那位黎巴嫩女孩常在我們家玩牌. 剛開始聯絡不上她們都很擔心,不過後來有聽到她們還平安的消息..

    聽到戰爭是一回事,朋友在那環境又是另一回事..真不敢想像如果是自己的家人..:S

    ReplyDelete
  2. i wrote about a birthday celebration on my blog and read what you wrote, gosh, I've met both of the girls concerned...

    hope they're alright... indeed...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Every time when cross-strait crisis is provoked between China and Taiwan, I cannot stop imagining how my family and friends and people might suffer from wars if anything is going to happen.
    Let's keep fingers crossed for peace everywhere in the world!

    I was confirmed that C and her family are fairly alright now except that she is always worried about the situation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hahahhahaha that was a very good point you made on my blog!! I just remebered Kazz's suntanned legs... I certainly don't want those patterns...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aki, yes, it's very sad, but it seems to be a destiny for the world and every individual to repeat their own footsteps.
    I myself have been trying to avoid, but sometimes it just happened...

    wy, I haven't seen the pattern on Kazz's legs, his suntanned and burning red head was definitely extraordinary.

    ReplyDelete