Friday, January 19, 2018

The town where one of the universities that I work in is said to be a posh area, populated with upper-middle-class families and boutique shops. The university itself is also prestigious in terms of its academic ranking. 

I walk from the station to the campus, a distance that would take up about ten to fifteen minutes to complete. The appearance of the university boulevard changes along seasons with cherry-blossoms in spring, dense foliage in summer, lemony-yellow ginkgo leaves in the autumn, and Christmas illumination in winter. Yes, it is a beautiful town and an expensive place in both its material appearance and its human components.  Of course, the two are mutually inclusive.

Therefore, when I told K that I have been seeing a homeless woman sleeping on a roadside bench every time when I walk by, K was almost in disbelief.  I have been wanting to offer a cup of hot tea since it has been freezing here. Most of the time I am in a hurry; sometimes she simply disappeared when I could slow down. 

Today, she was lying on the same bench, scratching her scalp incessantly. I walked on hesitating about what to do, when now there was finally a chance. I turned back after several meters had been taken and purchased dry shampoo, hot meat bums and a cup of hot tea. She was waking up and was about to leave when I returned to the spot. The small meals and the hygiene goods that I had just assembled were accepted with pleasure. But she did not say much more and did not show any intention to have a further conversation. That was fine, too, I think. She was certainly not obliged to have a conversation with someone like me who simply offered some things that might make today a bit easier or more pleasant for her. These are the very trivial things that the country and society has failed to keep her up. I was just graced with the chance to step in and fill up the gap. 

Next time I will get some tooth brushes and tooth paste ready. 

No comments:

Post a Comment