Wednesday, November 15, 2017

T made a cake of fallen leaves on an fine autumn day on campus 
The delivery of T to the nursery today was not entirely smooth. He was in a good mood but strangely persistent. Everything was normal as everyday else, but at breakfast he had a comment that he did not want to go to the nursery. He would have a thought like this once in a while, and there is little to be done to make sure about his really meaning. When faced with his idea of this sort, most of the time I would try to understand and to think more carefully about what he really wants. However, most of the time they are just his passing thoughts or something that happens to come to his tongue. Sometimes when I am busy, like these days now, I can only ignore the duty to look into his mind.



After we arrived outside the nursery, he was playful and reluctant to walk straight into the building. He insisted on climbing on stairs, but when we reached the nursery floor, he said he wanted to take elevator instead. I told him that it was not possible, as everyone was already waiting for him in the room. As he always does, he threw himself on the floor and refused to cooperate. After several failed attempts at persuasion, I raised him by force and carried him into the nursery. He then refused to take off shoes and insisted on hiding himself in a corner near the entrance. With an eye on him, I walked into his classroom alone to see if he would follow. However, he did not. After having failed to make him consent again, I lifted him up and took off his shoes and brought him into the nursery. He then prostrated on the floor to practice his right of civil disobedience between the nurse and I.

I had a small exchange of information with the nurse who greeted us. I told her that he seemed to be in a good mood, but he had done everything opposite. She then said that since they are still small, they cannot control their own reactions, and it is fairly common for them to be difficult occasionally.

T is bigger than average in his age group, physically stronger, more powerful and more obstinate, so that I know that it is a tough work for nurses in general. When I sometimes expressed my concerns, the nurses all assured me that it was because he is still smaller than all other kids in his group. Shall I feel assured? I do not in fact. I always wonder whether he is particularly difficult as a human being, and since I do not have any exterior case to refer to, I am very confused by my own situation with him especially on a day like today.

I would reflect on my own reaction and attitude and worry to find that I am wrong. Since kids are small and live before laws, it seems to me that justice always side with them.

The top was torn and was left with two holes. I mended them by stitching two musical notes onto the stripes. Apparently the head nurse of T's group was very fond of the thought and design. I am very grateful that she told me that she had noticed the design and thought it was a wonderful idea. On my part, it was good to have someone tell me her appreciation, as sometimes this efforts to be a good parent do not usually elicit much attention at home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment