Thursday, September 07, 2017

T's Language and Emotional Development


T is very enthusiastic about speaking these days. He hardly stops once he starts making up a story, retelling a story, or, most often of all, observing and describing people and things around him. It is very amusing to interact with him verbally, and now he is able to make real conversations on emotional basis.


He learnt to say sorry in both Chinese and Japanese quite early, but I did not think he really understood the meaning. He used them whenever he was caught naughty, but he would be smiling at the same time.

One day in the nursery about two weeks ago, I forgot to bring his toothbrush and cup, and consequently he wouldn't be able to join in the tooth-brushing time on the day. After I picked him up later on that day, we sat at the entrance of the nursery to put on his socks and shoes. I told him that "Sorry, sorry, sorry, dear, mummy forgot to bring your toothbrush, and you were not able to join your friends today. mummy is really sorry" (in Chinese). I meant it, but I had thought that they were spoken to myself rather than to him, as he probably wouldn't get what was to be sorry about.

However, he replied in a very charming voice seeking to comfort me that, "だいじょうぶ,だいじょうぶよ,ママー。とっくんははみがきしたよ!" (It's alright, it's alright, mummy, I did brush my teeth.) I was very moved and had my eyes moist by his huge efforts to comfort me (at this stage of language development, it is still difficult to determine whether he really brushed his teeth or not).

After that, every time when I said something in relation to a missing item or worries, he would use the same sentence pattern, "it's alright, it's alright, mummy, ...."

I would say that it is one of the most beautiful conversations that I had so far with T, as they are sweetened with very personal care and thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment