Monday, February 27, 2017

A reminder to myself

I feel that if I don't write it down, I will continue to feel unrested.

T has been sitting on the front seat of a motored bicycle we own for a year now. He has somehow quickly outgrown the seat (although he is only two) in the past few months, and his shoulder can hardly wedge into the space.

We installed a backseat for him last weekend, and it was his first time in the back to go to the nursery with me this morning. K reminded me to be careful more than once when seeing us off in front of the house. I was well-aware the care I needed to pay to the new situation, so T and I were quite cooperative with each other, and he seemed to be very calm.

I rode slowly as I was new to the balance of the weight of the bike and as I always do. Everything was as fine as the day, until we arrived at a level-crossing in the middle of our journey. This is the place where T would lovely sing the sound "gang gang gang gang", referring to the coming train. We both were excited that it was such a good luck to be able to see a train passing in the morning. At first thought, I stopped before the level crossing, but then I did not know where the second thought had popped up that I started riding across the level-crossing. Although we passed safely without any trouble, I noticed the bars were coming down while we went through. Nothing happened, and we were both safe and fine. The only regret that T might feel would be that he was unable to see train at that moment.

I was, however, more shocked by my own decision to make the crossing while the alarming sound was ringing. During the rest of the journey, I couldn't stop being bothered by the scenarios that I could imagine about any mishaps that might have resulted from the action. T was no longer in the front seat, and if the backseat had been caught by the bar, any consequence would be unbearable.

I am still shivering over the possibles.
When he was in the front seat, I learned that I had to stick out my head to check the traffic whenever I wished to make a turn. Now, he is relocated, and I need to be even more slowly to make sure that the bike does not swing or lag.

How can one be more careful than careful?

No comments:

Post a Comment