Tuesday, November 04, 2014

A 40-week Project: VI

Last month after I entered the sixth month of pregnancy, my parents-in-law took us to Suitengu.

In Japan, when expecting mothers are half-way through their pregnancy, they would visit shrines on a day called the day of canine (usually twice a month at a 12-day interval) in order to pray for safe delivery and a healthy newborn.
Canine serves as a major symbol of fertility and the guardian of expecting mothers because mother dogs are considered to be able to give birth to several pups at one go at ease. Other days would do, too, of course, and the significance and effect would be the same, I believe.

It was on a day of canine in October on which we made the visit. The shrine, Suitengu, is apparently one of the most famous in Kento area, as afar as I have heard, despite its small size and its location on one corner of a crossroad in the city centre. However, I did not really expect to see such a long queue outside the shrine. Among the visitors were pregnant ladies and their family members. Some of them were here for their 2nd or 3rd child; some took their newborns to visit the shrine for the first time.

It was a fine day of autumn, and the crowd did not compromise the peace and order observed by visitors, as it is always the case in Japan.

Not long after, I got to register my name at the counter, paid for a pack consisting of a talisman and a traditionally cotton-made belly belt, and had my name written on a long stripe of white paper in calligraphy. With a number of 30 expecting mothers, I waited in a lounge for about 20 minutes and then was ushered inside the shrine.

Having everybody seated, a priest and a female assistant in their ceremonial costumes started to perform the ritual. The sun light cast in from behind of us, and the priest read a long prayers indicating us to lower our heads to show respect from time to time. It really gave a feeling of magic somehow, and the chant was somehow soothing in contrast with the liveliness outside. He then recited everyone's name to be known to the deity before the end of the 10-minute long ritual.

My families greeted me outside the temple, and we went to ring the bells of the shrine for a second round of prayer.

Upon entering the shrine, the lady assistant also gave each of us Japanese liquor in a glass bottle in the shape of a fortune puppy. At home on the day, I spent some quiet time gluing all the stickers onto the bottle.

It was a good day out and was concluded with a small afternoon tea in a hotel related to the shrine.


At the very beginning of my pregnancy, K had a business trip to Nagano prefecture where another famous temple sits. He also brought me a talisman for the baby. Then, my parents-in-law got me another from the father's hometown far away from Tokyo. The Suitengu talisman is the third in my possession.

I know the child and I are surrounded with immense love, and I (and he) am truly grateful to all kind cares and attention paid to us, although I have to admit that, as I have grown older now, attention as such can make me feel a bit awkward at times.

No comments:

Post a Comment