Sunday, August 10, 2014

A 40-week Project: IV

In a dinner party last Friday, I happened to eat some delicious raw seafood, which I had been reminding myself to avoid since my pregnancy began. I was not ready to divulge my cause yet, so I, probably, took the liberty to enjoy the delicacy.


Then it did not take 3 hours to prove it to be a serious mistake. I started feeling nauseous in the train back to the house and had to rush to the restroom in the station to throw up. I basically collapsed like a lump of jelly, unable to move and powerless, on the second day. Nothing as serious as my previous experience with raw oysters, but it was more than ever anxiety-making given that I am also responsible for another life in my body.

*****

It is about 12 weeks by now, and a preliminary test for down syndrome is supposed to be done around this timing. After some research on the types of tests offered in Japan, it is not an easy decision to make. There are some risks involved, and safe options have lower rate of accuracy.

I have been reflecting on our decision as to whether to receive the test these days. I know I can fall into my own moral and ethical dilemma easily when this question comes to mind. However, I have to admit that I am a selfish human being in many ways that I sometimes think for myself more than for others including my own child, I would say. I am more sober and colder than I may appear when faced with issues as such.  

No comments:

Post a Comment