Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Thyme: My Herbs Experiment


Thyme has had a constant presence in the garden and around the house since it was first planted a year ago. Its contribution to everyday life is not necessarily substantial but certainly non-negligible. I have used it in cooking and for tea. And this time, I wonder if they could make any good deodoriser.


I wouldn't say thyme smells good or sweet, but it has a particular scent that could wake up a dull brain. After this year's blossoms, a bounteous harvest of intertwined thyme twigs was well dried in the sun for a couple of days and then rolled into balls. Every balls were loosely secured by iron wires and embellished with recycled ribbons of sundry colours.

These herbal balls embodied a unique message of earthiness, straight from seeds and directly from the garden. It encompassed a year's time from its birth to death, a year's time in the house, and a year of wait. A true evidence of my own existence and labor.

I allotted them to some neglected corners in the house. As summer wind breezed through windows, a herbal fragrance of steadiness and gentility formed an integral aromatic part to my summer memory about home.


No comments:

Post a Comment