Saturday, February 04, 2012

Seaweed, Meals during Spring Vacation

A couple of weeks ago in an agricultural fair in Takashimaya department store in Shinjuku, we found a gem for Japanese cuisine - seaweed. I cannot quite recall whether I ever tried this type of seaweed before, but it definitely was never an ingredient on my shopping list for grocery. However, at the moment when the stall clerk opened a pack, I knew I would not want to miss it anymore. It has the most mesmerising aroma that I have ever encountered; the taste is amazingly distinct with its bitterness subdued. 

At that moment I had an illusion that I suddenly became a gourmet capable of tasting good food! 

We sprinkled it on meatballs made of of burdock roots and pork last night. It effectively reduced the greasy taste of pork . 



For lunch today, I mixed two kinds of seaweed: sushi seaweed (commonly available every where) and this green hairy seaweed, on top of finely chopped bluefin tuna. The dish was only simply seasoned with soy sauce and spicy sauce, but the virtue of such simplicity in turn helped to enhance the humble flavor of the seaweed: elementary and real.



No comments:

Post a Comment