Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Print: Richard Fozard's 'Five Geese a' Cackling'

An Afternoon Detour to York Art Gallery

After a reading group meeting 'again' 'accidentally' taking place on a Bank Holiday Monday, I stepped in York Art Gallery. I was drawn to an exhibition, 'Richard Fozard: Printmaker', by this image of geese on its recent brochure.

Richard Fozard was a prinkmaker in Leeds, his works were inspired by the natural environment of Yorkshire Dale and were meant to represent the beauty that he had enjoyed. 'Five Geese a' Cackling' is a print from a woodcut. The rough and vibrant lines of shadow and light present a very dynamic composition. I breathed the air of solidarity that the ink and the lines create upon the paper, thinking the texture of paper, wood, and ink.

The show room was small, the size of the exhibition was mini, the other works were not entirely impressive, but this afternoon break in the company of these geese was pleasant enough for me to get ready for another half day's work.

3 comments:

  1. I always found York Art Gallery a little disappointing. The special exhibitions rarely have much of interest in them despite looking promising.

    I went to Manchester City Gallery yesterday to see an exhibition that was closed when I got there (very annoying). Having said that the gallery as a whole is excellent and worth a visit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sorry for you, Andy. what was that exhibition about which you planned to see? I have never been to Manchester City Gallery I think.

    York Art Gallery is incomparable to other museums or galleries in the country I agree, but as a venue for a 30-min afternoon break, it is not too bad.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was a photography exhibition. Manchester City Gallery is reasonably big and has a diverse collection, well worth a look if you are in Manchester (it is near the town hall). Next time I'm in Manchester I want to go to the Lowry gallery, that looks like it could be very good.

    I agree York gallery is fine for a 30 minute break, but after over 8 years in York it began to become somewhat boring.

    ReplyDelete