Friday, April 07, 2006



"Hay Fever"


Rachel and I were very disappointed that "Hay Fever" last night in Theatre Royal Haymarket was cancelled. Ms. Judi Dench (as Judith Bliss in the play) was suffering from a flu and couldn't make it on the stage. Hope she is recovering now! I didn't know the play stars lady Dench until I arrived the theatre. Looking at her smile on the flyer, I can feel and imagine how Judi will successfully bring Judith Bliss to life!

The original by Noel Coward is fascinating! Very sarcastic and intriguing, comical and tragic. It deals with a very popular issue in the early twentieth century: failed human relationships and dysfunctional communications especially those in the family. The hysterical ambiance, to me, is echoing that of Pinter, who is also one of my favorite playwrights.
I will manage to make it to see it again!

7 comments:

  1. she's not a ms shes a dame

    how r u

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not only is she a Dame, but she also comes from York!

    She is really good in the films 'Iris' and 'The Shipping News', although she is general excellent anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't know that she's from York! Wow!

    I haven't seen "Mrs. Henderson Presents", but believe she's excellent anyway in any film. Mrs. Henderson is a controversial female in the 20th century according to Kunio. We had thought of going to see it but didn't make it.

    Dame Dench is so good that sometimes I feel a little bit scared when seeing her acting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not only is she from York, but there is a place by the river next to the Museum Gardens named after her.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love iris. it's got kate winslet in it too

    ReplyDelete
  6. i can only see river ouse on the map...

    ReplyDelete