Friday, May 18, 2007

Objects

A miniature of St. James is now standing on my book shelf, it is a present from A. We had between us a secret code of miniatures of sacred figures, nothing to do with any religion seriously though. A started this idea. After our exchange of these objects and after it has stayed in my collection for a while, I gradually understood why and how this idea of possessing objects like this sparkled in her mind years ago when we first met. Nowadays whenever I hold it in my palms, the solid substance provides a steady center to which all of my untamed thoughts orient, and its concreteness gravitates the course of my unfounded worries. It is not anything magical or spiritual, I would say, it's more to do with the idea that it's a material substance that is able to distract its holder from an alter world of fancy. Or it is the connection bewteen friends that is created by these miniatures that assures me.
Thanks for passing on this steadying force, A.




J, a friend from my primary school days, just gave birth to a baby girl. I went to see her last week in New York, the first meeting after a couple of long years.
This tooth fairy was a present to her and her girl, Audrey. It was meant to preserve baby's first teeth. (Before discussing with the shop assistant, I had no idea that it will take 6 to 7 years to have baby teeth fallen though!!) Perhaps I was just too fond of this fairy that I resisted any other more appropriate and perhaps more reasonable choices. Although it won't be immediately in use, I insisted giving it to the new mother and the newborn. (A very stubborn gift-giver, I know!) However, it seems to be an excellent choice in the end, I think. Audrey is just like a princess who is loved well by her caring and loving parents.
I have no doubt that the young parents' love for each other and their innate kindness will nourish princess Audrey until the day when she will pass on this love. An emotional tie that binds together generations who sing the same melody of family.
The tooth fairy is not only a tooth fairy, I hope, she is also a fairy assistant to Audrey's fairy-like parents that will accompany this girl into her maturity.

No comments:

Post a Comment